Monday, February 22, 2010

The Girl Effect



The world is a mess. Most of us feel powerless to change it. But we're not powerless, and there are those out there who can show us what to do. You and I can join them, and it's easy to do.

I'm going to be brief, and encourage you to visit The Girl Effect and learn more.

In October, I read Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea. It had a huge impact on me.

I then requested Half the Sky (Nick Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn) as a Christmas gift. It's gripping.

I've also been researching micro-finance, (see Mentors International, Kiva, and MicroPlace. I discovered that the most effective use of micro-loans (in terms of creating positive social impact) and the most reliable way to lend it (in terms of getting prompt repayment) is to lend the money to women.



If you are interested in really changing the planet, visit The Girl Effect. Browse YouTube starting here.

Read all the facts. Here's just one: When girls and women earn income, the reinvest 90% of it into their families, as compared to only 30 to 40% for a man.
See development through the prism of gender, and be stunned by how much can be done with how little.

Women hold up half the sky. Are we allowing them to?

Are we helping them to?

If not, we cause the sky to sag, indeed to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment